Title: Beginning Strings Specialist
Location: El Sistema Lehigh Valley at Roosevelt Elementary Teaching Faculty
Reports to: El Sistema Lehigh Valley Program Director
Hours: 15 Hours a week - 90 day probation period
Start Date: August 2013
Inquiry: Please send your resume and cover letter by July 22, 2013 to
Teaching audition/interviews will be held in July at Roosevelt Elementary School
El Sistema Lehigh Valley (ESLV) provides underserved youth with exceptional programs in academics and arts within a nurturing environment, empowering them to develop their potential, pursue their education and strengthen their communities.
El Sistema Lehigh Valley (ESLV) is an initiative of the Allentown Symphony Association (ASA), supported by the Allentown School District, to provide access to exceptional instrumental and orchestral education in order to promote youth development. Central to ESLV is the ASA’s plan to build, with community partners, youth orchestras in underserved communities throughout the Lehigh Valley.
Responsible for leading beginning strings general music literacy classes at the ESLV at Roosevelt. He or she will ensure the highest quality beginning-instrumental classes, create curriculum and pedagogy in collaboration with other music faculty and support each child holistically. He or she will support the ELSV philosophy and community and help facilitate community and family involvement.
Roosevelt is the first site of the ELSV program, inspired by El Sistema, the Venezuelan music education system that provides over one quarter million children with free musical instruments and music instruction. ESLV will serve approximately 80 first through third graders during the inaugural year. Roosevelt is a recognized community school in Allentown that has become a home-away-from-home for countless numbers of inner city youth. With ESLV, this vibrant community center will become a hub of intensive and joyful music making. Each participant will have a rich music curriculum focused on cultivating a caring, cooperative and fun community. Curriculum will include: full orchestra, smaller ensembles, early childhood music pedagogy, choir, music language and instrumental instruction. Students will also benefit from Roosevelt’s exceptional academic support, and creative outlets. The instruments and the program are free to all participating students as long as they uphold their contract to take care of the instrument, practice, and participate in ESLV music programming primarily between Monday and Friday.
As an ESLV faculty member, responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Collaborating with ESLV faculty to create a shared curriculum, pedagogy and culture inspired by the ideals of El Sistema
- Teaching music literacy classes
- Conducting and leading youth string ensembles
- Team teaching and running ensemble classes of 20-80 children
- Assisting with full orchestra rehearsal of 80 children; tuning strings, sectionals
- Attending music pedagogy and professional development sessions
- Preparation and communication with teachers, program director, ASA staff, and parents
- Demonstrated excellent musicianship and artistry as a teacher/performer
- Strong commitment to El Sistema’s philosophy of social change through music and the missions of ESLV
- Four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required; post-graduate degree or equivalent experience a plus
- Strong knowledge of standard music pedagogy (Orf, Kodaly, etc.) with certification preferred
- Experience teaching general music literacy
- Experience leading and conducting ensembles
- Strong knowledge of string repertoire, curriculum and pedagogy
- Experience working with children from diverse ethnic and economic backgrounds; experience working in underserved communities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Interest and ability to be a motivational mentor and role model for students, parents, and peers as an artist, teacher and citizen
- Ability to work under frequent observation
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the Allentown Symphony Association to provide all persons with equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, disability, age or Veteran Status.